FLOATS & FANCY DRESS
Wells Carnival Procession traditionally comprises individuals and groups featuring floats, fancy-dress plus pull and push-along vehicles. We’d be delighted if you’d like to join in and it would be wonderful to see some new faces taking part. Each entry will be judged within their various category (see below for list of classes for judging and how to enter).
To enter the Parade powered vehicles should arrive on The Buttlands by 1pm. You will be met by a committee member and given an entry card which will show the class entered. This should be displayed prominently (ideally in the front of the vehicle). Judging will commence at 1.30pm
You will then be asked to leave the arena so we can continue judging other classes. (Parents may wish to accompany children in the arena).
Please contact us if you have any queries or would like to enter a particularly large float or group of people.
Parade – the parade leaves the Buttlands at 3pm on Carnival Day. All vehicle floats must complete a PARADE RULES ENTRY FORM and hand in to the Committee tent in the Arena on Carnival Day. Fancy dress participants are welcome to accompany the floats as they travel through the town. However, children must be accompanied by an adult at all times and ALL members of the public, taking part in the parade, are requested to read and follow the guidelines in: Safety on Parade. Please be aware that participants take part at their own risk.
Please note:No advertising material, edibles, gifts, samples or other objects may be thrown or otherwise ;distributed from any vehicular or elevated float. At the sole discretion of the parade Organiser favours and advertising material may be distributed on foot, providing no risk is thereby incurred by spectators, particularly children, in relation to moving vehicles, machinery or animals. Wells Carnival Ltd., organises a collection during the parade with proceeds being shared between local charitable groups. Permission is therefore not granted to other groups wishing to make collections.
LIST OF CLASSES FOR JUDGING
NB: Classes will be called into the arena for judging from 2pm.
1. Individuals 9 years and under
2. Individuals 10 years & above (including adults)
3. Decorated bicycle and rider – adult or child
4. Group – 2 or more children (under 16’s)
5. Group – 2 to 5 people, adults or adults & children (to include pedestrian controlled vehicles)
6. Group – 6 to 9 people, adults or adults and children(to include pedestrian controlled vehicles)
7. Group – 10 or more people, adults or adults and children(to include pedestrian controlled vehicles)
Powered vehicles: – The person in charge of each float must complete an Entry Form and hand to a Carnival Committee member, in the Judging Tent on The Buttlands, when they register their entry for the Parade on Carnival Day.
8. Large group/tableau (minimum 7.5 tonne LGV)
9. Decorated vehicle (including trade vehicles) (mainly adult)
10. Decorated vehicle (including trade vehicles) (mainly children)
11. Best decorated building/window*
12. Best dressed shop staff*
* Entrants for Classes 11 and 12 should contact the Maltings Information Centre – 01328 710885 – at least 3 days prior to Carnival Day. Judging will take place on Carnival Day